Re: doing a good job...

Subject: Re: doing a good job...
From: "Hutchings, Christa" <cwhutchings -at- HOMEWIRELESS -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 1998 10:34:41 -0400

George Mena wrote:

>This may well be true, but I've noticed this is also when growth *does*
>occur: in the middle of heavy work. :D

I've found that small TC groups seem to have an especially hard time
growing before the crunch hits. This is usually because either the
department didn't have enough foresight to see the need until it was
almost too late, or because it was unable to convince higher-ups that it
would soon need more resources.

This can be a real problem in very small departments with heavy
workloads and tight deadlines because the writers are often so darn busy
trying to crank the work out that they really don't have time to
recruit, hire, and train a new writer. In my experience, it generally
takes about 3 months (or longer!) from the time a new position is
approved until the new writer becomes independently productive, and by
then the worst of the crunch is usually over.

Chris Welch-Hutchings
Senior Technical Writer
Home Wireless Networks, Inc.
mailto:cwhutchings -at- homewireless -dot- com