Re: Technical Writing Workshop - Query by Amy Lodato

Subject: Re: Technical Writing Workshop - Query by Amy Lodato
From: Amy Lodato <a -dot- lodato -at- INTERSHOP -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 1998 23:25:21 +0200

Hi everyone,

Let me fill in some background on this tech writing workshop idea. My
original query (copied below) was a fishing expedition to see if there
was any desire for such a workshop and to get specific ideas on what
people would like to cover. The impetus was a call for presentations at
an STC conference; I thought I'd submit a proposal for the topic area
"Writing Tuneup for Experienced Writers."

I was surprised and delighted by the number of "Sign me up!" and "Me
too" messages that flooded my box. Meanwhile, Rowena
(rhart -at- intrinsyc -dot- com) had the brilliant inspiration of putting such a
workshop together on-line. I think she's moving forward with that
project, and I'd like to stay involved with it.

But now for the caveat. The STC conference I was thinking of isn't until
October, and I can't start really working on this project until the end
of August, due to some other time commitments. So... hopefully the
online workshop won't be over and done with before I can participate,
but I'm not ready to offer anything concrete right away. Maybe Rowena
can respond to the list with a progress report from her end, and I will
keep you posted as I work on my end. Meanwhile, if you get more specific
ideas on subject matter, I hope you'll keep me/us in mind and let us
know them!

Best regards,

Amy Lodato
a -dot- lodato -at- intershop -dot- com

Original post

Dear fellow wordsmiths,

If you saw a workshop targeted toward professional, experienced tech
writers that promised a writing skills "tuneup," would you be
interested? If so, what topics would you want to cover? For example, are
there grammatical issues you wouldn't mind hammering out? Would you
like ideas on how to organize and consolidate information? (I don't
think I could bring myself to use the term "chunking" in relation to my
work, but maybe I'm alone in that.) Other issues altogether?

Let's assume this workshop was both reputable and free-- what would you
like to see in it?
Have you ever taken a workshop or course that drastically improved your
professional writing style?

Feel free to respond on-list or off, and thanks in advance for any
feedback.

Best,
Amy Lodato