Re: crash

Subject: Re: crash
From: Max Wyss <prodok -at- PRODOK -dot- CH>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 1998 02:23:40 +0200

John,

this topic has been up a few weeks ago.

The politically correct term for crash is ... crash. That is what the
system does when it crashes. It may also lock.

The system is normally up. It can go down under control (when you shut down
your machine), or it can go down uncontrollably. And that's a crash.

OK, for the faint at heart, you can use "terminate unexpectedly". "Giving
up its ghost" might already be too strong (although I have seen it in UNIX
documentation).

BTW, to show how moderate "crash" is, try crashing your marketroid's
machine and then listen to the language you hear then <nasty grin>.

Hope, this can help.

Max Wyss
PRODOK Engineering AG
Technical documentation and translations, Electronic Publishing
CH-8906 Bonstetten, Switzerland

Fax: +41 1 700 20 37
e-mail: mailto:prodok -at- prodok -dot- ch or 100012 -dot- 44 -at- compuserve -dot- com

Bridging the Knowledge Gap ...

... with Acrobat Forms ... now for belt drive designers at

http://www.prodok.ch/prodok/riemen.html