Re: Help! Macintosh screen captures converting to PC

Subject: Re: Help! Macintosh screen captures converting to PC
From: Mike Stockman <stockman -at- JAGUNET -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 1998 11:05:23 -0400

On 7/17/1998 10:17 AM, Gray, Melanie A (Melanie -dot- Gray -at- NAVISTAR -dot- COM) wrote:

>I need help. We need to take screen prints from a Macintosh G3 computer and
>convert them to a usable format for the PC. I have images saved to a disk,
>but the PC doesn't recognize them as pictures (it does accept the disk,
>that's not a problem).
>
>Do I need to rename the files so Photoshop (or another program) can read
>them? Is this an impossible task? I need help immediately, naturally,
>because we have to get these screen captures today.

(Directly to Melanie and copied to the list)

Melanie, you haven't mentioned what format you're using to save the
graphics on the Mac, but I'll try anyway:

If you're just taking screen shots using the Mac's built-in key sequence
(command-shift-3 or 4), those are saved as PICT files, a format that's
not commonly used in Windows. The Mac and Windows versions of PhotoShop
can probably open them and convert them to another format for you, but it
would be easier and quicker to batch-convert them on the Mac first. For
bitmapped graphics, you'll want to convert them to TIFF, GIF, or JPEG.
Be sure to put the correct file extension on them (.TIF, .GIF, and .JPG,
respectively) before you copy them to the PC.

There are a number of tools to use on the Mac for converting graphics.
One of the best is Thorsten Lemke's shareware GraphicConverter, which you
can find at <http://www.lemkesoft.de/>. This program has an excellent
command called Convert More on the File menu that can batch-convert a
bunch of files at once to just about any format you've heard of.
GraphicConverter can also put the extension on the file name for you, too.

Hope this helps.

----->Mike

Internet: stockman -at- jagunet -dot- com AOL: MStockman