Re: FWD: Anchored Frames in FrameMaker

Subject: Re: FWD: Anchored Frames in FrameMaker
From: Mac McCartt <mmccartt -at- AUTOIII -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 1998 08:54:30 -0700

We have not encountered your problem (converting Interleaf files to
FrameMaker). But we do have policies regarding our treatement of graphics,
which you can mimic as you choose.

We have created the following paragraph tags for graphics:

1. An otherwise empty paragraph tag called "B4Figure" to which we anchor
the graphic.

2. The anchored graphic is selected to be centered (on the whole text
column) and positioned "Below current line." (We use a single column
layout.)

3. We either follow the graphic with a "FigureTitle" paragraph tag (in
which case, we have a number and caption -- well, sometimes we don't number
our figures) or with an
"AfterFigure" tag (which is totally empty).

4. The "B4Figure" and "FigureTitle"/"AfterFigure" tags have their
before/after leading/spacing set so that about one pica of space separates
the figure from the encompassing text, top and bottom.

5. We produce PDFs from our files, so I have no knowledge of what kinds of
problems this arrangement creates in HTML, SGML, or XML documents, if any.

In addition, I personally have adopted the convention of displaying all my
screen captures at the same resolution (95% of my graphics are screen
captures) -- with the intent of providing consistency for the reader. (By
the way, I have absolutely no data that shows that my readers either
benefit or suffer from this convention.)

Our conventions (especially mine) means that space is "wasted" (the term I
prefer to use is "effective use of white space") when the graphic takes up
only half of the text column it is placed in.

Contact me directly if you want more info.

- - - Electronic Signature - - -
Mac McCartt/mmccartt -at- autoiii -dot- com
Thousand Oaks, CA
805 376 5223/FAX 805 376 5005
- - - Electronic Signature - - -