Training Information Re: Technical Writing

Subject: Training Information Re: Technical Writing
From: Maria <mariac -at- NAS -dot- NET>
Date: Sat, 18 Jul 1998 10:33:37 -0700

Hi!

As promised, here is compilation of all the responses I got when I asked
the following question:

>Hi:

>Is anyone aware of any good online technical writing courses available. I
>don't have time to travel to the nearest college offering courses so
>correspondence or online courses are my only option.

>Thanks,

Here it is:

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Several people have inquired about training programs in technical
writing or about starting a technical writing career.

The Software Technical Writing Program at Middlesex Community College,
Bedford, MA, begins its 20th class this September and is hosting
an information session for prospective applicants Wednesday, July 15,
7 PM, at the Bedford campus.

This very selective and very successful certificate program prepares
career-changing adults to be productive software technical writers.
Applicants must have at least a Bachelor's degree and three years of
work experience. The placement rate is near 100%, with more than
100 companies employing its graduates. This year's graduates average
over $41,500 in starting salaries.

The program accepts 12 to 14 students a year. Classes meet evenings
and Saturdays for eight months of intensive, practical training in
writing, software, and career management skills.

For more information and directions, contact Kim Burns, Program
Manager, at 781 280-3663 or burnsk -at- admin -dot- middlesex -dot- cc -dot- ma -dot- us -dot-

Thank you.
--John Abbott
Chair, Advisory Board, Software Technical Writing Program

> From: Kristian Rickard <ngkjr -at- TTACS -dot- TTU -dot- EDU>
> To: Maria <mariac -at- NAS -dot- NET>
> Subject: Re: Online Technical Writing Courses
> Date: Sunday, July 12, 1998 12:11 PM
>
> Maria.
>
> You might check Texas Tech University. They have a full graduate level
> degree offered via the Internet.
>
> Dr. Carolyn Rude is the Director of the Tech Comm program at Tech. I am
> sure she will be glad to help you find the right course for you. Her
> email is rude -at- ttu -dot- edu
>
> Good luck!

kristian rickard

Hi Maria,
You should look into the courses that the University of Waterloo has to
offer. I think
they have a broad range of online and correspondence courses. I'm not
really sure
what kind of program you are looking for, but here is an example of a
tech-writing
course that Waterloo offers:

ENGL 210G
Technical Writing - Online Mode
A study of the principles, processes and products which constitute
technical writing.
This course is conducted entirely on the World Wide Web. Students work from

accounts and in groups to produce their assignments online. ENGL 210G
instructs
users in Standard Generalized Markup Language (SGML) as they perform
technical
writing in letters, manuals, and reports.

I hope this helps, and if you need anymore information, I'd be happy to
help (I'm
currently a Rhetoric and Professional Writing student from the U of W and I
am on a
co-op workterm only 5 minutes away from the university).

Good Luck,
Jenn

Maria,

Check out Ryerson (In Toronto, Ontario Canada), I hear they have complete
programs in Technical Communication.

Ann

Maria,

Last year when I lived in Vermont, I took an online technical writing class
at Vermont Technical College (VTC). It was great. The teacher was very
helpful, and I learned a lot.

I don't know if they continue to offer it. You can link to VTC through the
State of Vermont web page.

Good luck.

Patty

This past winter I took an online technical writing course given by
Onlinelearning.net, which is affiliated with UCLA. Since I live in NJ, I
was
obviously not anywhere near UCLA. I really enjoyed the class, and I learned
a great deal. It is a basic technical writing course. They also offer a
technical editing course, which I have not taken.

The URL is http://www.onlinelearning.net.

Jennifer Rippel
jrippel -at- thebeast -dot- com

Maria,

I have two suggestions for you:

Visit our website (URL below) and look at our guided self-study writing
course. We offer you the opportunity to work one-on-one with a writing
professional who will provide you detailed feedback on your writing five
times during our course. Almost half of our participants are technical
writers and they very much appreciate our program.

Admittedly, I'm biased about what we do; but we work hard to create a
similar bias among our students!

As an alternative, Rowena Hart (rhart -at- intrinsyc -dot- com), a colleague from
this listserv, recently "said" that she was going to coordinate training
for those tech. writers who wanted to polish their skills. This will be
a free, help one another type of training. I don't know the details of
what, when, how, etc., but that's another avenue you may want to
explore.

Hope this helps.

Cordially,

Douglas Max

--

LR Communication Systems, Inc.

Training in business writing and presentation skills. Seminars, distance
learning/correspondence programs with personal feedback. Online options.
Editing services. Founded in 1969.

http://www.LRcom.com

E-mail for business: mail -at- LRcom -dot- com
personal: dmax -at- bellatlantic -dot- net

voice (908) 464-1231
fax (908) 464-1350

139 Dogwood Lane
Berkeley Heights, NJ 07922-0264
USA

Northeastern University in Boston has one. Their tech writing program is
one of the best in this area, but I don't know much about the on-line
course, since they are new. You might get in touch and get their
bulletin. If you take it, please let me know, since it is something I
considered for the Fall, but I think I'd rather go to a class right now.

Ellen