Re: "Wish" in tech docs

Subject: Re: "Wish" in tech docs
From: Tim Altom <taltom -at- SIMPLYWRITTEN -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 14:13:23 -0500

>In my response to my previous example, some list members said they would
not
>use the word "wish" in technical documentation. How would you rephrase
>this, for example?
>
>Step 1: From the Destination List, click on the Destination you "wish" to
>edit.

I may be old and curmudgeonly, but I too dislike the word "wish" in tech
doc. "Wish" is one of those words that smacks of the more high-tone,
gentlemanly type of writing that's designed to be inoffensive and "nice".
Our language is replete with such subtle distinctions, and many writers
resort to the upper class tone. It's unnecessary, imprecise, and liable to
put off an ordinary reader.

I'd use "want" or even rephase to "From the Destination List, click the
destination to edit."

Tim Altom
Simply Written, Inc.
317.899.5882
http://www.simplywritten.com
Creators of the Clustar Method for task-based documentation