Re: pdf vs. html

Subject: Re: pdf vs. html
From: Katav <katav -at- YAHOO -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 1998 02:11:29 -0700

Re hypertext/links and price:

Hypertext in Word 97 converts to PDF when Word is used with PDFWriter
(US$30 from www.adobe.com) **AND** PDFMarker (US$0, same URL). You get
many (not all) of the goodies of the ~US$300 Distiller/Exchange/etc.
package for 1/10th the price. FrameMaker 5.5 WITH the Acrobat package
MSRP=<US$900, but I understand there are places offering major
discounts.

MSRP=Manufacaturer's Suggested Retail Price

If you don't need Frame's composition abilities - if Word does the job
- the $30 investment may be all you need.

---Steve Pendleton <SPendlet -at- COGNEX -dot- COM> wrote:

> >Why are buying FrameMaker to create PDF files? Just buy Adobe
Acrobat
> Exchange.
>
> >You postscript Word files, and then use Distiller (part of the
> >Exchange package) to distill the postcript files into PDF.
>
> To the best of my knowledge, the only way to get hypertext from Word
> PDF is to paint in each link by hand each time you build. Ouch. With
> Frame,
> your links are encoded in the source.
>
> Steve Pendleton
> Technical Writer Deluxe

==
Katav ( katav -at- yahoo -dot- com )
''Despise not any person and do not deem anything unworthy
of consideration, for there is no person without his hour,
and no thing without its place'' {Ben Azzai [Avot 4:2]}