Problems with pdfs

Subject: Problems with pdfs
From: Damien Braniff <Damien_Braniff -at- PAC -dot- CO -dot- UK>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 1998 15:56:32 +0100

First of all thanks to all who replied to my recent posting re moving
documention delivery to CD (pdf /HTML etc) - nice to know we're headed in
the right general direction! This is (sort of) related and concerns
problems with pdfs. A colleague at another site is also looking at the CD
route and it seemed logical that we compare notes to ensure we didn't end
up duplicating effort. I've had no real problems with creating pdfs from
the Word masters but he has inherited a lot of legacy docs which is causing
him some problems. He is currently using WordPerfect, PageMaker and
CorelDraw. The problem he seems to have is that some of the docs have
fonts that are no longer recognised by Distiller. The only solution he's
found so far is to manually check each doc for "odd" fonts and change to
those he knows don't create a problem. Has anyone else had a problem like
this? Is there an easy way round it or is it a question of carrying on as
he's doing now and checking each document?

TIA

Damien Braniff
Technical Author
PAC International