Re: DEBATE: Word-processing or DTP

Subject: Re: DEBATE: Word-processing or DTP
From: "Hutchings, Christa" <cwhutchings -at- HOMEWIRELESS -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 1998 17:16:06 -0400

Sadly, I worked with a contract writer at my previous job who absolutely
refused to consider doing page layout work. He had previously been an
employee of the company and was a terrific writer and great person, but
he apparently considered page layout work beneath him and had convinced
management many years ago that the writer/formatter concept was the way
to go. The company consequently choose Interleaf as its DTP app and now
has so much money invested in Interleaf that it won't even consider
changing to something less expensive so the writers can do their own
page layout. Even when Interleaf bites the dust (and it's not a matter
of if, but when), they'll probably stick with the writer/formatter
scenario because: 1) this writer is a permanent contractor there and has
a lot of sway with management, and 2) the TW manager there has never
worked in any other kind of environment and doesn't know any other way
to run a TW group.

As the saying goes, to each his own...

Chris Welch-Hutchings
Senior Technical Writer