Re: Writers or what? WAS Word-processing or DTP

Subject: Re: Writers or what? WAS Word-processing or DTP
From: Tracy Boyington <tracy_boyington -at- OKVOTECH -dot- ORG>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 1998 15:51:11 -0500

> Amazingly, the more esoteric aspects of tech writing -- document design,
> audience analysis, information mapping and the like -- have been utterly
> meaningless to me. Maybe it's because of the types of companies I've
> worked at over the years, but I just haven't seen the need for any of
> that.

George, I think you hit the nail on the head right here. ;-) These
"esoteric aspects" such as document design and audience analysis have
been meaningless to YOU. In my job they're pretty important. And many
aspects of your "required" list are "esoteric and meaningless" to ME --
I have never needed to use AutoCAD, to read drawings or schematics, or
to create online help files. Technical writers come in many different
flavors.

Tracy
Oklahoma Dept. of Vocational & Technical Education
Curriculum & Instructional Materials Center
Stillwater, Oklahoma http://www.okvotech.org/cimc/