Task Analysis vs Systems Analysis

Subject: Task Analysis vs Systems Analysis
From: Anthony Markatos <tonymar -at- HOTMAIL -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 1998 10:07:10 PDT

To all listerv subscribers:

Having significant experience as a systems analyst, I know that the main
thing that such does (or at least should do) is Function Analysis. And,
having several years recent experience as a Technical Writer, I know
that a "hot topic" in such is (End User) Task Analysis.

What do you feel is the difference between the two?

Below, I have define my interpretation of the relationship between the
two. Any comments on these statements would be appreciated.

MY UNDERSTANDING

Task = Function = Predefined set of procedure to be executed in support
of business goal(s).

The task defintion portion of Task Analysis = Definition of tasks
(functions) accomplished by the system end users.

Function Analysis = Definition of functions (tasks) accomplished by
system end users AND definition of functions (tasks) automatically
accomplished inside the computer.

Therefore, the task definition portion of Task Analysis is merely a
subset of Function Analysis. That is that, this portion of Task
Analysis is essentially Systems Analysis.

Comments?

Tony Markatos
(tonymar -at- hotmail -dot- com)