Re: FWD: Layoffs and scrounging

Subject: Re: FWD: Layoffs and scrounging
From: Marilynne Smith <marilyns -at- QUALCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 1998 10:48:57 -0700

I have some rules of thumb about layoffs:

1. The louder they say "there won't be any layoffs," the more likelihood
that layoffs are imminent.
2. Assess your job, do you love it enough to risk something to keep it?
You can survive layoffs, but there is no guarantee that one of the
survivors will be you. Only you know if it's worth the risk.
3. If you have a sick wife and 10 kids to support, look for another job.
You don't need the stress of worrying about this one.
4. One of the funny things about layoffs is that the survivors often
improve their lot, whether by equipment, or raises or the like. Accept it
as part of the business world.
5. The others are not likely to be back, despite promises to the contrary.
Why return to work for a company that has heartlessly laid you off?

Marilynne

At 10:03 AM -0600 7/24/98, Eric J. Ray wrote:
>Name withheld upon request. Please reply on list.

>Hi Everyone,
>
>I know some of you have been through what I'm going through and I'm looking
>for some advice or encouragement.
>
>Our company has been downsizing our division. We build capital equipment
>and business has been slowing down. I've been told my position as a

<rest of message deleted in deference to Eric's request>
Marilynne Smith marilyns -at- qualcomm -dot- com
Sr. Technical Writer (619) 651-6664
QUALCOMM, San Diego, CA AE-203B
"We'll have the whole world talking"