Re: HTML interface names

Subject: Re: HTML interface names
From: "Jeanne A. E. DeVoto" <jaed -at- BEST -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 1998 15:53:09 -0700

At 12:19 PM -0700 7/23/98, Barry Campbell wrote:
>At 11:39 AM 7/23/98 -0700, Dave Swenson wrote:
>>Sorry to bother you all, but what's the name for the list of hyperlinks
>>that typically appears in a left browser frame?
>
>Wouldn't dream of castigating you. There is no obvious term for a
>cluster of hyperlinks. "Navigation bar" or "navbar" for short is
>one term in fairly common use in the Web community

I agree it's in semi-common use, but my impression is that it's used as a
more general term, covering all sorts of navigation tools, not just the
Left-Hand Index of Death. If Dave needs a term that specifically indicates
the latter, I think a little description will be needed - "typical
left-side navigation list", or something of this nature.

You could also create your own term ("navlist"?) and introduce it with a
definition. I suspect you'll end up going this way, since I agree with
Barry that there's no truly standard term for it.

--
jeanne a. e. devoto ~ jaed -at- jaedworks -dot- com
http://www.jaedworks.com