Re: PDF file problems

Subject: Re: PDF file problems
From: Steve Pendleton <SPendlet -at- COGNEX -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 1998 18:02:49 -0700

>I'm having trouble with a PDF file for a client. It looks fine on
screen
>and prints fine on my non-PostScript laser printer, but it doesn't
print
>properly at the client's site. There are odd gaps between occasional
>words.

I've seen this on an HP printer, typically at font shifts in running
text. I've assumed it was a driver problem, or a subtle incompatibility.
No fix, just commiseration.

>Also, does anyone have tips for optimizing screen shots in PDF files?

I grab standard Windows bitmaps at 16 color and import them
into Frame at 75, 96, or 150 DPI. You could make a small science
project out of trying to find ideal compression settings. These
settings seem to view and print OK:

Compress text and line art ON

Color Bitmap Downsample ON, Downsample to 300 dpi
Automatic Compression ON, LZW/JPEG Low

Greyscale Bitmap Downsample ON, Downsample to 300 dpi
Automatic Compression ON, LZW/JPEG Low

Monochrome Image Downsample ON to 300 dpi
Manual Compression CCITT Group 4
---------
Steve Pendleton, Technical Writer DeLuxe
Cognex, Acumen Products Group
"Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain"