Re: Layoffs and scrounging

Subject: Re: Layoffs and scrounging
From: Brian Martin <martin -at- SODALIA -dot- IT>
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 1998 08:43:09 +0200

Dear "Name withheld upon request:"

First of all, let me say that I feel for you. However, in three recent
years of employment in the US I had 6 jobs (some contract, some--what a
joke-- "permanent"). So, your security concerns seem a bit old-fashioned
to me. Relax, take a deep breath and write a damned good resume. Make
it concise and show your skills well....

Q:Is it typical to redistribute equipment among the survivors? I'd
really
like to think we will be calling the others back. I'm not sure I would
want
to come back after a lay-off to find my desk marauded.

According to a recent Dilbert, YES, this is very common. In any case,
returning employees will get new equipment later. Maybe you should be
concerned if you stay, because you get to keep the same old equipment.

Q: Should I be looking for another job right now?

You should always be looking for another job. Although, that doesn't
necessarily mean you should leave your current one. Only you can tell.
Remember that the best time to get a new job is when you have one. With
the right pressure, you might even get a raise-- at the old or the new.
This depends on whether you have "exclusive" knowhow to sell. Hopefully,
your current employer didn't keep you because you were cheeper than the
others! Keep your chin up, remember how valuable you are.

My comments are not intended in any way to be cynical. It's just the
smell of coffee these days. Take two deep breaths and make those
job-search calls every morning.

Good luck.

Brian