Re: Difference between a Product Release versus a Product Upgrade?

Subject: Re: Difference between a Product Release versus a Product Upgrade?
From: Elna Tymes <etymes -at- LTS -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 1998 14:19:37 -0700

Vickie-

> In the software world, is there a recognized difference between the
> terms "Product Release" and "Product Upgrade"? If a difference exists,
> please clarify.

In the software world, when you are willing to ship a product, you call
it a "Product Release." Of course, in many shops, just after you
release a product out the door you usually have a trail of software
developers running frantically after it yelling "Wait! Wait! I haven't
finished something!"

When the exhausted developers return to the company's door, you calmly
collect what they haven't finished, find the quickest patches around
what doesn't work, and release this collection as a "Product Upgrade."

And you think I'm kidding!!

Elna Tymes
Los Trancos Systems