Re: Help! Apple Guide Training

Subject: Re: Help! Apple Guide Training
From: "Jeanne A. E. DeVoto" <jaed -at- BEST -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 1998 19:01:03 -0700

At 7:04 AM -0700 7/29/98, Annette Schulz wrote:
>Does anyone have any information on someone who offers Apple Guide
>Development training? Or even any 3rd party development tools would be a
>great start.

Apple University used to offer an Apple Guide course on site in Cupertino,
but at this point I'm afraid all I can offer is book references. Danny
Goodman's "Apple Guide Starter Kit" comes with a (fairly rudimentary)
development front-end for creating Apple Guides; "Apple Guide Complete" is
more technically comprehensive, but to my taste is poorly organized.

You might want to visit <http://www.lakewoodsoftware.com/agauthor/> to take
a look at Apple Guide Author - I've heard good things about it. (I've never
used a development tool to make Guides myself - I do them by hand - but
then most of the guides I've worked on have required use of fairly arcane
features, and front-end tools tend not to support them.)

You can also try contacting Gordon Garb (ggarb -at- apple -dot- com), who is, or at
least was, the marketing person for Apple Guide. Apple has a tool called
Apple Guide Visual Authoring Tool, though I'm not sure it ever made it past
beta release and doesn't seem to be on Apple's public site. Still, it might
be worth following up on.

Finally, there are some FAQs on my pages at
<http://www.jaedworks.com/appleguide/guide-faq/>, with a link to additional
FAQs written by other AG experts.

Hope this helps...

--
jeanne a. e. devoto ~ jaed -at- jaedworks -dot- com
http://www.jaedworks.com