Re: Concurrent writing and revision

Subject: Re: Concurrent writing and revision
From: Mark Baker <mbaker -at- OMNIMARK -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 1998 10:48:50 -0400

Tom Campbell wrote

>I agree wholeheartedly with Geoff Hart's comments on the perils of =
>unlimited revisions. I once managed a 2-person desktop publishing =
>operation for a company of 150 people. We were using Interleaf to do =
>almost all of the "typesetting" & layout of numerous newsletters, =
>brochures, booklets, books, flyers, etc. We had some users who would give
=
>us massive headaches with endless revisions. =20

There are two ways to look at a problem this. One is to say, our process is
inflexible so revisions cause massive headaches, therefore we should limit
revisions. The other is to say, our process is inflexible so revisions cause
massive headaches, therefore we should change our process.

Change in information is a fact of life. Documents start going stale the
moment they are finalized. They are often hard and moldy before they get
onto the store shelf. Information delivery processes have to adapt to
changes in information. If using tools designed for page layout -- desktop
publishing tools -- makes it difficult to handle revisions then use tools
designed to handle constant revision -- content management tools.

---
Mark Baker
Manager, Corporate Communications
OmniMark Technologies Corporation