.PCL Files (Long)

Subject: .PCL Files (Long)
From: Jennifer Swann <jennifer -at- ECHOMAN -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 1998 15:53:36 -0400

Hello All,

My company has recently switched from Word 97 to FrameMaker 5.5. In my effort to produce the best print quality for our documentation, I have run into significant problems. I uploaded a manual in a .PDF format and despite the setting below, I found the text and graphics to be lighter than I had expected.

FrameMaker's Print Setup dialog box:

Graphics Tab:
300 dpi
Halftoning Screen Frequency: 110

PostScript Tab:
Optimize for Portability - ADSC

Distiller's Job Options dialog box:

General Tab:
Acrobat 3.0 compatible
Default Resolution: 2400 dpi

Compression Tab:
Compress Text and Line Art on
Downsample to 600 and JPEG Low for both Color and Greyscale Bitmap Images
Downsample to 600 for Monocrome Bitmap Images

These settings produced a fairly good printing but it was not quite as dark as I had hoped. I also created PostScript files at the highest settings. These were no better. My printer is using a DocuTech and has informed me that DocuTech print is lighter than others. Despite this, the printer and I are certain that we can achieve better results.

They suggested that I create a .PCL file for my manual. I did so, using an HP LaserJet 5P driver. This manual was *much* better. However, the headings were washed out and in a few areas a strange symbol (almost a straight line with a hook at the top) was placed in the blank spaces between words.

I have since installed the Xerox 135PCL5e printer driver and uploaded this format to the printer. I am hopeful (but not confident) that this will solve my problem.

My questions are: Has anyone experienced this before? If so, are .PCL files reliable? If not, are there any other formats that I can try?

Thanks,
Jenn

Jennifer H. Swann
Technical Writer