Re: The Tools Tech Writers Use

Subject: Re: The Tools Tech Writers Use
From: "Luke, Sue" <Brenda -dot- Luke -at- PSS -dot- BOEING -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 08:00:40 -0700

Adrienne Ferguson wrote:
>I am conducting some research on the tools technical writers use in
<snip>
>Why, for instance, does MS Word seem to be a standard tool despite its
>limitations ? <snip>

Adrienne, one reasonable explanation is that some of the decisionmakers
THINK we would prefer working with Word. That's not true for me and for
many of my colleagues, but because I'm an older writer I think
(erroneous) assumptions are made about my ability to learn a new tool.
That's unfortunate--for both me and my employer.

>I am also intersted in knowing the popular tools amongst technical
writers
>(i.e. if you had your choice, what would it be) and the techniques used
>stay abreast of new technology.

I love FrameMaker, but at this point I NEED to learn more web-authoring
tools. So if I ever get the chance to voice my opinion, it will be
DreamWeaver, FrontPage, and other web-authoring tools.

Thanks for asking!

Brenda Sue Luke
Technical Writer-Editor
The Boeing Company
425-234-0279
Sue Luke
ISPI Writer-Editor
"Eventually all things merge into one, and a river runs through it."
--Norman Maclean
Phone: 425-234-0279 Fax: 425-237-4848
Bldg. 7-32.3, cube 3J7-2 M/S 6C-96
Tuesday through Friday 7:30 to 6:00