Re: The Tools Tech Writers Use

Subject: Re: The Tools Tech Writers Use
From: Hilda Alvarez-Strang <HAlvarez -at- IX -dot- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 12:14:56 -0700

Andriene elizabeth Ferguson-addei wrote:

> I am conducting some research on the tools technical writers use in
> preparing documentation (hard copy,online). I am interested in your
> opinions on how organizations decide what tools(i.e. Ms Word, Framemaker,
> Robohelp) should be used to prepare documentation and what role, if any do
> tech writers play in these corporate decisions. Why, for instance, does
> MS Word seem to be a standard tool despite its limitations ? Is it because
> of its popularity (or that of Bill Gates) or its ease of use ?

Well, I use RoboHelp for on-line Help and Word '97 for documentation. I
recently used Word '97 to convert a hardcopy document into HTML for
inlcuion in our Intranet. The only limitation I encountered was the
manipulation of graphics, so i did it without graphics, since it is to
be used as backup to the hardcopy anyway.

As far as additional tools I cannot recommend Snag-It, by TechSmith,
enough! it makes scree captures so easy and so manageable it
incredible!

In addition to that, a good computer terms dictionary. To keep up with
subjects, this mailing list has been very helpful as well as a plethora
of web sites.