Re: Concurrent writing and revision

Subject: Re: Concurrent writing and revision
From: Robert Plamondon <robert -at- PLAMONDON -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 09:46:42 -0700

>Robert -
>These are all good points, and I have used many of them in the past.
>However, at some companies, it doesn't matter how hard Tech Pubs wants
>to stand its ground - when the top dog in your division issues an edict
>that Tech Pubs *will* give a certain project top priority, it's hard to
>argue without jeopardizing your job. Sometimes these edicts come down
>from on high and there's not much you can do other than say "Yes, Sir!"
>(cheerfully, of course!). ;~D

No, of course you agree. But you instantly move on to resource allocation.
"I can't increase the priority without assigning more resources to it. All
my resources are assigned. Who gets bumped?" Then repeat this statement
over and over while they try to wiggle out, with the occasional, "And go
sign up the other departments to spend extra time supporting us, because a
compressed development cycle is very dependent on quick response from the
SME's."

And if that doesn't work, send out a memo announcing that, due to the level
of overload and the uncontrolled nature of the problems it causes, you're
putting together a quality reduction plan to put the process back into
control, and would like everyone's feedback.

-- Robert
--
Robert Plamondon * High-Tech Technical Writing
36475 Norton Creek Road * Blodgett OR 97326

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=