Re: Text Wrapping around a Graphic

Subject: Re: Text Wrapping around a Graphic
From: Sybille Sterk <sybille -at- BOFFIN -dot- BEYOND2000 -dot- CO -dot- UK>
Date: Sat, 1 Aug 1998 06:57:30 +0100

>What do you think about instructions that flow around a screen grab that is
>right in the middle of the page?

I don't mind text flowing around screen grabs, under two conditions, of
course:

1. The screen grab should not be wider than half the page width, better
less than that.
2. The screen grab needs to be either left or right aligned, not in the
centre of the page.

The reason why I like to use this layout technique with smaller dialogs is
that it doesn't leave quite as much space than putting it on the next line.
The layout seems to flow more and I don't think it distracts from reading
the instructions. I use a lot of screen grabs of buttons in my manuals and
they are always left-aligned to the text the belong to. It really would
look silly to just put one little button on one line, I think.

Larger screen snaps I put underneath the instruction.

Maybe I should also mention that our manuals are only A5, which is quite
small and if you leave lots of space between text and images it looks even
smaller.

Just my five pennies' worth,

Sybille
Sybille Sterk
Technical Author and Translator (German)
Boffin Technology Ltd.

Email: Sybille -at- boffin -dot- beyond2000 -dot- co -dot- uk

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=