Re: Learn to say No. Was: The Tools Tech Writers Use

Subject: Re: Learn to say No. Was: The Tools Tech Writers Use
From: Max Wyss <prodok -at- PRODOK -dot- CH>
Date: Sat, 1 Aug 1998 12:14:10 +0200

Bernie,

I think it has a lot to do with the tools you are used to, and really
master, and which tools you do not know, or know only very little.

I remember some years ago, when my UNIX workstation still worked, I had a
rather exotic publishing program. I mastered it pretty well, I must say; I
also translated the user manuals for it <g> (in fact, the German version I
did was so that the client did retranslate it into the original English
language). This was also the time I got my first version of Framemaker.
Although even then, Framemaker was way superior than my program, I
preferred using the old stuff. Well, when the workstation broke down, it
was the end of that software...

So, this may be one of the reasons why many people suggest MSWord for doing
stuff they know, even if it is not the suitable tool at all. And then, of
course, to the beancounters delight, that will be chosen. Or, there are
some "policies" which declare MessySoftware to be the standard, and nothing
else may be used. These policies are usually made by "decision makers", a
favourite target group of certain people from Washington State.

Of course, you can do many things with many different kind of software. For
a one-time stint, it would even be justifiable to just use what's around;
otherwise, the learning phase would be too long and expensive. However, you
have to be aware that the results may not be on the same level as your
other products.

Hope, this can help.

Max Wyss
PRODOK Engineering AG
Technical documentation and translations, Electronic Publishing
CH-8906 Bonstetten, Switzerland

Fax: +41 1 700 20 37
e-mail: mailto:prodok -at- prodok -dot- ch or 100012 -dot- 44 -at- compuserve -dot- com

Bridging the Knowledge Gap ...

... with Acrobat Forms ... now for belt drive designers at

http://www.prodok.ch/prodok/riemen.html

_____________

>Hi Max;
>

>There is a little truth in what you say, but you have missed an important
>point (or the original poster did). MS Word is a "word processing"
>application. Adobe FrameMaker is the electronic publishing application. Is
>it not surprising, then, how many Word complaints are on the List.
>
>If someone says that they enjoy driving the VW Beatle, but that it doesn't
>plough corn fields very well. What questions should be asked? If you want it
>to plough 4 rows at the same time, you just can't expect to write a new macro
>for it.
>
>If an aeronautical engineer was asked by management if he could build an
>aircraft with a pair of pliers and a screwdriver, I'm sure that he would say
>no, but if you check with the Experimental Aircraft Association, they'll tell
>you that you could (generally speaking).
>
>Sure, some managers can be tough with budgets (that's their job), but when
>asked by management to provide a full range list of possible dtp applications
>to purchase, how many writers unfortunately include MS Word. If management
>says, we already have MS Word, can we do dtp with it? How many writers, et
>al, say, I suppose so. I rest my case (again). ;-)
>
>Bernie
>Canada

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=