Re: The Tools Tech Writers Use

Subject: Re: The Tools Tech Writers Use
From: Steve Pendleton <SPendlet -at- COGNEX -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 3 Aug 1998 13:01:56 -0700

>In my opinion, know how to use all the popular tools and fit the tool
to the
>job. [...] The tool debates are, in my opinion, an insane waste of
time.
>[...] the tool is irrelevant to getting the job done.

No one--even those taking a position of advocacy--denies
the wisdom of using whatever tool fits best, or using whatever
your boss pays you to use. It does not follow that the attempt
to discuss tools and tasks is a meaningless fool's errand.

A good workman, given ten hammers, can meaningfully
grade them by the quality of their materials and workmanship.
And the others in the guild will probably broadly agree
about what makes a good or bad hammer. Those forced to use
a bad hammer can still drive nails, and after a while they
might even develop a certain affection for the tricks that
get good results. But the best workman always knows
and seeks the best tools, and the average workman always
struggles without them. If the workmanship produced under
average conditions is rough enough-or if many skilled members
members of the guild admit that they struggle with a tool-then it's
not an error to wonder if the tool itself is a partial cause.

As for MSW, those using it for book production--or even as a
word processor--rarely seem to do so with enthusiasm.
In this thread, for example, those defending Word offer
a raft of practical benefits-in a tone that (to my ears) hints
of resignation, or coercion, but not heartfelt praise. Many professional

technical writers are lukewarm about Word-a conspicuous
and noteworthy fact, given its momentum and marketshare.

Steve Pendleton
Technical Writer DeLuxe
Cognex, Acumen Products Group

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=