Bad Employment Situation

Subject: Bad Employment Situation
From: Michael Johnson <michaelj -at- OECMED -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 1998 15:17:12 -0600

A few years back I signed a relocation contract with an aerospace firm in Southern California. Although the job was great and really a lot of fun, I ended up with an 80-mile commute (one way) that almost did me in.

I chose to stick it out, and I'm now glad I did. Those relocation contracts are enforceable in court, and hanging in there was not as bad as I thought it was going to be. A vanpool helped a lot, and staying with a friend in LA a night or two saved me on some really miserable overtime days. I ended up giving the standard 2-week notice and left on good terms. And I still get good references from my old supervisor.

I think if you put your concerns in writing, your supervisor will know that you are serious about the problem. Then he has the ball to do something about it. After all, harassing you with impossible and conflicting demands is a far more serious problem for your employer from a legal standpoint than your jumping contract.

Good luck!

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000