Developing CBT

Subject: Developing CBT
From: Kelly Williamson <kelly -dot- williamson -at- CBIS -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 1998 08:49:58 -0400

I've searched the archives, but can't find anything that directly
relates to what I'm doing. I, along with 2 other writers, are in the
process of developing CBT for software application (Windows).
My question is, what should and should not be included? I've
found reams of information on online help and online documentation,
and guidelines on what they should consist of, but there doesn't
seem to be much out there on CBT.

For example, context-sensitive online help should be brief,
simple, and focus on "how" information. Online information
should be easy to read and when possible, avoid making the
user scroll. Anyone know of any guidelines of this type for
CBT, or do the same principles apply? How much information
is necessary? My instincts say that more is not always better,
we should be concise, and show one, simple way to accomplish
a task. In my opinion, a list of components on a window isn't an
effective CBT, but I'm having trouble getting this point across
to the group. Are there any studies, articles, or "rules" that I
can use to make my point?

Thanks in advance.
Kelly Williamson
kelly -dot- williamson -at- cbis -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=