Re: What letters of recommendation really say--3 questions

Subject: Re: What letters of recommendation really say--3 questions
From: "Hutchings, Christa" <cwhutchings -at- HOMEWIRELESS -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 6 Aug 1998 09:40:37 -0400

Interesting stuff, Deborah.

Like you, I was struck by the fact that both letters mentioned that the
employee was "at work at her scheduled time." I assume that either the
employee asked the writers to include this info in their letters of
recommendation (for whatever reason), or both letters came from an
organization that used a "template" for such letters.

Even though we have very flexible work schedules here, I'd consider the
presence of this info in both letters a bit of a red flag and I'd query
the employee about it during the interview. (If someone can't get to
work until 9:30 every morning, I don't panic, but on the other hand, I
don't want to see that same writer high-tailing it out the door at 4:30
every afternoon either.)

I too was initially put off a little by the lack of writing skills
evident in these letters. If these letters had come from writing
managers and the employee didn't seem a little embarrassed to present
them, I would be concerned. (If it was me, I'd be embarrassed even if
they *didn't* come from writing managers.)

On the other hand, I think many tech writers sometimes forget that there
is a great portion of the business world that cannot write nearly as
well as we do. (I am reminded of a former neighbor of mine who headed up
our homeowner's group for a while. This guy had the worst writing and
spelling skills I've ever seen in an adult - my 10 year old nephew could
write better than this guy did. Yet he was an upper manager for a pretty
large corporation - go figure!)

If this was a TW candidate, I might be tempted to hand the letters back
to the employee and ask him/her to edit them. It would be interesting to
see how they polished them.

At any rate, I always check references by phone. You may not get answers
to all your questions, but if someone hesitates or beats around the bush
when you ask about a particular employee, you might want to think twice
before hiring that employee.

Hope this helps -

Chris Welch-Hutchings
Senior Technical Writer
Home Wireless Networks, Inc.
mailto:cwhutchings -at- homewireless -dot- com