art as role in tech writing

Subject: art as role in tech writing
From: Cyndy Davis <kivrin -at- ZDNETMAIL -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 6 Aug 1998 15:20:18 -0700

I'm wondering how many techwrlers out there produce graphics/illustrations as part of normal projects. Currently I am working on designing a CD splash screen, cover and label for the actual CD. Since most of my training, education has been in writing and literature, I don't have a lot of experience with graphic programs. I have an extensive art background but not with computers. I'm getting better since I have the basic understanding of design principles from "old-fashioned" drawing classes, but I would love to produce really professional looking images for my company.

Does anyone have any great tips on how to quickly learn graphic programs (CorelDraw, PhotoShop)?

Do most tech writers find design issues on their desk? I'm not referring to flowcharts and simple diagrams(line art) for manuals, I'm referring to actual marketing, advertising images. I'm beginning to think we need a graphic artist on staff.

Thanks for any hints or tips in advance!
Cyndy Davis

Free web-based email, anytime, anywhere!
ZDNet Mail - http://www.zdnetmail.com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=