SUMMARY: Humor in docs

Subject: SUMMARY: Humor in docs
From: "Amy G. Peacock" <apeacock -at- WOLFENET -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 7 Aug 1998 09:47:16 -0700

Hey there everyone!

I want to thank everyone for their feedback and suggestions concerning
my plea for help. Originally I posted a message about my boss wanting
me to be funnier in a internal doc that I am working on. I've
summarized the responses (there were about 45 of them!).

1. Lots of people suggested that I use amusing headers.

2. Just about as many people suggested that I use clip-art or cartoons.

3. Many people suggested that I simply use a conversational style and
real language.

4. There were a few people who wondered about my bosses motivation and
thus sympathized with me greatly. :)

5. Several people warned me to be very careful using humor because of
the cross-cultural, translation, and possible physical injury
problems.

6. One person suggested that I keep the humorous stuff out of the way
of facts (In other words don't make your reader search through funny
stuff to get what they want.)

7. A number of folks suggested looking at the ...For Dummies and
Complete Idiots series for inspiration.

8. Lots of people suggested that I use lots of screen shots (for
readability) and use funny examples within these.

9. I got several book recommendations (other that the ones in #7).

10. Three people suggested I search out the office clown, pump friends
for ideas, and observe co-worker behavior for inspiration.

11. Last, but not least, at least three people offered to help me
write a funny header or two. And I might still take them up on that...

If anyone has any questions, ideas, or wants to know how I have (so
far) handled the "Amy! Get out there and be funny, dammit!" situation
I'd be more than happy to talk.
Thanks for your help everyone. I really appreciate it.

Amy Peacock
techwriter & jewelrymaker
Snohomish, Washington
apeacock -at- wolfenet -dot- com

"How do I set my laser printer to stun?"

These are my opinions, not my employer's.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=