Verbal vs. written communication

Subject: Verbal vs. written communication
From: Catherine Janzen <Catherine_Janzen -at- CLMT -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 1998 11:23:47 -0500

Dear all,
Lisa Higgins brought up an interesting point on synapses. I believe,
though am not 100% sure, that the areas of the brain responsible for verbal
and written communications are slightly different. I know a person who
never had verbal problems, received a concussion, and as a result often has
problems speaking, particularly when under stress. In fact, they know when
they're stressed because they start using incorrect nouns for common items,
for example, "pen" for "straw." Apparently these problems are classic
is a strong writer, however, and an excellent editor.

Unequal degrees of strength in writing and speaking may also be
attributable to weaker development in the specific brain area as well.
Problems also may be due to lack of practice, stress, or being a non-native
English speaker. As a teacher, I try to teach to different strengths and
weaknesses, and, as an interviewer, I try to evaluate candidates the same
way. In assessing a person's skills from several angles, I may avoid
throwing out a strong overall candidate who does one thing less strongly
than desired.

Just my $.05 (adjusted for inflation),
Catherine Janzen
CBSI (formerly Claremont)