Re: Getting started in tech writing...

Subject: Re: Getting started in tech writing...
From: "Michele Cottingham (BCS)" <cottingh -at- GROUCHO -dot- BSN -dot- USF -dot- EDU>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 1998 21:12:08 -0400

I, for one, would be interested in some advise from everyone who would
love to play mentor to us rookies.

I am still wondering how to get practical experience through an internship
or on the job training in technical writing.

I only have my tech writing classes that I have taken. I also have written
a couple of web pages for myself and some others.

My helpdesk positions certainly have helped me to think of my target
reader to create instructional guides for simple processes such as
formatting a page for a bibliography or printer setup. I would like to get
more experience than this(this is a start)to prove my worth to potential
employers.

Thanks for the thought

Michele
aspiring tech writer

Michele Cottingham
Technical Writer/Graphic Artist
email:cottingh -at- groucho -dot- bsn -dot- usf -dot- edu
url:http://www.bsn.usf.edu/~cottingh

Follow the Golden Rule
Treat each other's email as you would like yours to be treated.

On Tue, 11 Aug 1998, Katherin King wrote:

> Should we start a thread on "How I got started in tech writing"? It may
> be enlightening to see how many of us just kind of fell into it while
> doing something else.
>

> Kathy Stanzler
> Technical Writer
> Brooktrout Technology Inc.