Re: Thoughts of a tech. comm. grad

Subject: Re: Thoughts of a tech. comm. grad
From: The Tech Writer <techwrtr -at- CRL -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 10:48:00 -0700

[warning: this is one of those really long "my life history" postings]

Keith Wolfe <keith -at- MERGE -dot- COM> asked:

> How many tech writers out there have
> degrees in technical writing?

To which I long-windedly reply:

I, too, have a degree in Technical & Professional Writing. Well, sort of.
I finished all of the requirements for the degree, but 6 months out of
college, I got a letter indicating that I didn't have the *total* number
of units to get the degree, and that I needed to take 11 units of
anything at a 4-year to actually be awarded the degree. So, I still have
to take some advanced basket weaving classes to get my degree in
technical writing.

But, I digress. After two and a half years of working on an English
degree at the local JC, I spoke with my counselor to figure out what
degree I *really* wanted to pursue. I had gotten really sick of all of
the literature classes I was taking...I wanted to get into some editing
and *real* writing, rather than the flowery, self-important garbage that
I'd been dealing iwth.

So, I explained the type of writing that I wanted to do, and he looked at
me quizzically and said, "Journalism?"

"I don't think so."

So, he flipped through the college majors guide, and started reading off
the various majors. He read off Technical & Professional Writing, and
kept on going. I had him stop, and I read the description of what people
with that degree do. It was a perfect match!

Unfortunately, the only place that offered a BA in the major was 50 miles
away, in SF. I bit the bullet and rode the bus (2.5 hours each way,
sometimes for one 1-hour class) for four semesters.

I served an internship at Hewlett-Packard, which was an absolutely
wonderful experience. (I was their very first technical writing intern.)
They let me try lots of different things, while there.

After graduating...er, going through the graduation ceremonies...I worked
for a place close to home. In the three years since that time, I've
moved to two different jobs, and have nearly doubled my salary. And I've
been happier at each job than at the previous job (a winning streak I
hope continues for the rest of my career).

I feel truly blessed to have found the right career for me right off the
bat. I'm the youngest technical writer I've met, at only 25 yrs old (aside
from the list, where I'm sure there are younger), which is sometimes a
hurdle to get over when dealing with 50+ yrs old engineers, but it is a
lot of fun!

So, that's my story.

-David Castro
techwrtr -at- crl -dot- com