Re: Thoughts of a tech. comm. grad (was: Getting started in tech writing...)

Subject: Re: Thoughts of a tech. comm. grad (was: Getting started in tech writing...)
From: Jennifer Delmerico <Jennifer -dot- Delmerico -at- TSTNET -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 14:10:04 -0400

I am a graduate of a pseudo-tech comm program. I "stumbled" into it after 3
years as a math/cs major. At Georgia Tech, the name of the degree is
Science, Technology, and Culture, but, with help especially from one
professor, I fashioned my program into something that I could market as Tech
Comm. I learned about writing, editing,gathering information, and more
about style than I thought I had! However, the first job I got was as a
Website editor. Within 6 months I had moved from just writing/editing HTML
to training fellow employees and our customers on Internet basics. I wrote
my own training materials and presentations.

When I decided to leave that job and seek work at a TW, I took the training
materials I had produced with me as writing samples. Two individuals at
interviews at two different companies commented that my training materials
looked just like the documentation they produce. I was offered both jobs.
I accpeted one.

Although I could write, and I had some intuition about how documentation
should look and "act" before taking my current job, I have learned more in
the past 9 months about style and structure and organization and truly
*good* writing than I can recount, thanks to the mentoring of one colleague.

I am a *huge* proponent of higher eduction, I loved my program at Georgia
Tech, and I know I learned a lot. But nothing in 5 years at Tech compares
to the hardcore, full-force learning I've had to do to work in this
profession.

Jennifer Delmerico, Sr. Tech Writer
Transaction Software Technologies, Inc.
770-446-3211
jennifer -dot- delmerico -at- tstnet -dot- com

How many tech writers
> out there have
> degrees in technical writing? How many stumbled into this
> field from other professions?

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=