framemaker question

Subject: framemaker question
From: Cathy Carr <ccarr -at- OVID -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 16:57:31 -0600

We are getting into larger and more complex documents here and would like
to start using Framemaker. However, going into the Framemaker site today,
I found an unpleasant surprise on a support page: apparently Framemaker
cannot import documents saved by Word '97, unless you save them as Word 2.0
or RTF. Most of our documents were saved by the Word '97 program as Word
6.0 files. They need to import smoothly into Framemaker.

One of the fixes Adobe lists for this problem is as follows:

"Solution 1
Download the Microsoft Word 6.0/95 binary converter for Word 97 from
Microsoft's Web site at:
http://www.microsoft.com/word/enhancements/wrd6ex32.asp?prev=312111.

NOTE: The binary converter replaces the Word 6 export filter included with
Word 97. When you
save files with this converter and import them into FrameMaker 5, the
Unknown File Type dialog
box will appear. Choose Microsoft Word, and then click Convert."

My question is this: can anyone on this list confirm that this fix works,
and that the documents convert nicely? I know I sound paranoid, but
unfortunately I have had the experience of the great Software Fix that
doesn't Fix anything--and Framemaker is kind of expensive for an
unsuccessful experiment. Too, I don't relish the thought of dealing
extensively with Microsoft Support.

Please respond directly to me if you know anything--I get the list via
digest. TIA--

Cathy Carr

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=