Re: spaces

Subject: Re: spaces
From: Reuven Frank <reuven -at- E-AND-C -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 1998 09:08:46 +0200

At 01:35 PM 8/12/98 -0400, Shaun McNamara wrote:

>I recently got into a debate about using two spaces or one space after a
>period in a Word document, being told to use only one space. At my last
>Technical Writing job my manager was adamant about using two spaces after a
>period, and I have become accustomed to using two spaces. How does
>everyone/anyone feel about this issue? Is there some sort of existing
>rule? One of the reasons given to me was that because more and more
>documents are converted to HTML or uploaded to the web in file
>repositories, space is an issue, hence single spacing.

And Barry Campbell wrote:

The two space people are holdovers from the typewriter era.

My 20 milli-Dollars:

I worked for a high-end, high-tech contractor and the rule was : "Give the customer what he wants." Yes, the two-spacers are antiquated, but it is still perfectly acceptable to break between sentences like that.
Like I said, just my opinion.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000