Re: On-Line Help project--sorting it out

Subject: Re: On-Line Help project--sorting it out
From: Steve Arrants <SArrants -at- DATAFUSION -dot- NET>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 09:57:42 -0700

Net Help is Netscape's implementation of an on-line, HTML-based Help
system.

From the user's standpoint, a generic system might be OK, but if you
have the time and inclination, you could provide HTMLHelp, Net Help, and
Web Help systems, using a browser check to determine what to deliver to
the user.

> 2.If MS HTML Help requires IE4 for full functionality, does this mean
> that if a user has Netscape as a browser, that he/she won't get full
> functionality? Also, am assuming that any files produced in
> IE3.02 can be
> viewed with IE4, yes?
Correct to the first question; to the second question, HTMLHelp requires
IE4.0, though if the user has IE3.02 additional files can be installed
to give the functionality.

> 3. Just so I'm armed to make a case for the client, do you
> know whether
> FrontPage provides Help system features like TofC? Maybe what
> I'm asking
> is: what is FrontPage truly designed for--limitations? (like
> best for Web
> page creation but not for Help)?

Front Page is not designed for Help authoring.

> 4. (more case-arming for my client) Do screen shot types of graphics
> import well into FrontPage, or does RH HTML Help provide more
> flexibility
> (i.e. do a better job) with graphics?

You're pretty much dealing with GIF and JPEG files, which both FP and
RoboHelp handle well.

> 5. Does any on-line Help tool on the market provide the same shipping
> format as, say RH winhelp where it can ship as a single Help file?

This isn't a function of the authoring software so much as a function of
the specification of the specific type of Help -- NetHelp or HTMLHelp.
HTMLHelp is a compiled help file (CHM), NetHelp isn't.

> 6. How would you approach this if you were new to Help
> development like
> me --ie. what on-line help development tool would you pick to create
> web-based help (intuitive, quick learning curve, easy to use, etc.)?

I'd pick the tool closest to the WIndows Help tool I'm familiar with. I
like RoboHelp, so I use those tools. ForeHelp and others also provide
good tools for creating HTML-based Help systems.

> 7. Any other important issues about creating a HTML-based
> system to ask
> the client?
What's the target environment (hardware/software)? PCs? Macintosh?
Unix? Windows 95/98? Windows NT? Solaris, Mac OS?
Is the client standardized on one browser (IE or
Navigator/Communicator?)
Does the client KNOW what HTML-based Help is/looks like/can do?
WHY does the client want to make the switch?
Is there going to be developer support from the client's end to help
with the implementation of an HTML-based Help solution?

Check the various software sites for more information on HTML-based Help
to aid you in your decisions. Microsoft, Netscape, Blue-Sky, ForeHelp,
etc. all have some good information on their sites you can use.

steve arrants

> Hilary Harris
> WriteWorks
> hilaryh -at- ix -dot- netcom -dot- com