Re: Framemaker Difficulties

Subject: Re: Framemaker Difficulties
From: Mike Stockman <stockman -at- JAGUNET -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 1998 08:26:34 -0500

On 8/17/1998 6:05 PM, Deborah Ward (dward -at- HARCOURTS -dot- CO -dot- NZ) wrote:

>They are pretty meaty, with clip art, scans, graphics, and text, and
>range in size from 300KB to 32MB. We thought Framemaker would be more
>stable than Word, but we are continuing to have crashes, lock-ups, and
>the like.

I agree with the suggestion to make sure all graphics are imported by
reference, but I would also look into whether the graphics format you are
using is causing problems. I know that FrameMaker 5.x (I think this was
5.0.2 at the time, although I'm using 5.5 now) had trouble with very
large GIF files... I had a document that would crash when I got to a page
with a GIF file on it, but converting the same graphic to a TIF prevented
the crash. Frame acknowledged the problem, but in spite of my sending
them the document and graphic, they never came back with a fix...

I always recommend importing all bitmap (raster) graphics as TIF, and all
illustration (vector) graphics as EPS, but that may not fit your project.
That's simply where I've had the best luck and most stability.

Good luck,

------>Mike

Internet: stockman -at- jagunet -dot- com AOL: MStockman

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=