Re: Website readability

Subject: Re: Website readability
From: Marilynne Smith <marilyns -at- QUALCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 1998 13:34:03 -0700

Way to go Eric! The ultimate, and most commonly used reaction to user
unfriendly sites is a new URL. Your customers aren't going to put up with
it.

If your site is one I need information on, I may, if I need the information
badly enough, print it out.

I know how to change my browser, I just don't know why I should to
accommodate someone's web site. I thought those controls were for my
pleasure, not someone else's.

Marilynne

At 8:14 AM -0600 8/19/98, Eric J. Ray wrote:
>At 03:21 AM 8/19/98 -0400, Roy Anderson wrote:
><SNIP>
>>Apparently, you are unaware of the fact that modern browsers provide
>>you with significant capability to customize your personal web viewing
>>environment. You can specify your choice of fonts, font sizes, font
>>colors, visited/unvisited link colors, and background colors. You can
>>set preferences to override the fonts, colors, and backgrounds of any
>>web site you visit. I suggest exploring your browser's "preferences"
>>or "options" section at you earliest convenience. You'll be delighted
>>by what you find.
>
>I hear this fairly frequently from designers, Webmasters,
>and other HTML/Web page developers. Every time I hear this,
>I wonder just how well the designers know their audience,
>because if I'm the audience, they just lost me.
<snip>
>In closing, I find the argument that "users can change their
>preferences" disingenuous, simply because many users don't
>know how. Of those who DO know how, most know that
>they _need not_ do that--designers _can_ accommodate all
>users and all browsers, if they choose to do so, and if they
>choose not to accommodate me (with a very mainstream
>platform and browser), I'll simply go elsewhere.
></RANT>
>
>Eric

Marilynne Smith marilyns -at- qualcomm -dot- com
Sr. Technical Writer (619) 651-6664
QUALCOMM, San Diego, CA AE-203B
"We'll have the whole world talking"

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=