Re: Jumpless Index Entries

Subject: Re: Jumpless Index Entries
From: Bill Burns <BillDB -at- ILE -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 1998 13:25:24 -0600

Ed writes:

> Their justification being that in hard copy, not
> all index entries have page references, in addition to having some primary
> keyword topics contain subjects covered in the second levels. In other
> words, click on the primary keyword Audio, and get a list of possible
> topics, and directly below the keyword audio, second levels might be
> duplicated.

Just a little clarification here, please. Do *they* think the first-level
entry should do nothing, or do they think the first-level entry should pull
up a list of topics including some duplicated links? If it's the former,
then I think you're right. A keyword that does nothing just seems broken. If
it's the latter, then I see no problem (depending on the specific delivery
media) with having a primary keyword display a list of topics. That seems to
be how most WinHelp indices function.

The idea of having a nonfunctional index term in a scrolling list of linked
index terms seems, well, sort of bizarre to me--almost anal retentive. ("No,
I WON'T give you that topic." Okay, so maybe I'm projecting here. ;-)

Bill Burns
ILE Communications/Eccentric Technology Consultant
billdb -at- ile -dot- com
> You can't gouge out your mind's eye.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=