Re: Time Sheets

Subject: Re: Time Sheets
From: Win Day <winday -at- IDIRECT -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 1998 17:11:32 -0400

At 12:18 PM 22/08/98 +0530, kalpana thakar wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Could you folks tell me if you are required to fill time sheets on a
>daily basis which tracks/measures the number of hours you spend in a
>particular activity in a day?
>
>I sincerly believe that since our job entails a lot of creativity,
>there's no way in which one can track/measure creativity. A lot of
>thought process goes into our job, so can one start jotting down the
>time spent on the thought process?
>
>Please let me know how all of you feel about this issue?
>
>Regards,
>Kalpana.

I don't now, but I have in the past worked for a company that required time
sheets. Our days were broken into 15-minute increments.

But thinking, planning, and developing were considered legitimate
activities. This was a major engineering design firm -- our product was
our thinking!

The tracking was more to see how much time to charge to each of the several
projects, for different clients, that each of us was involved in. Also, by
keeping records of how much time each activity requires, the company had a
better idea of how to bid on upcoming projects.

Sorry, but even creativity time can and should be measured, IMHO.

Win Day, Technical Writer
Mississauga, Ontario

mailto:winday -at- idirect -dot- com

http://webhome.idirect.com/~winday