Texts on Grammar

Subject: Texts on Grammar
From: "Stephen D. Murphy" <sdmurphy -at- SHEPARD-PATTERSON -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 1998 07:11:05 -0400

Dear Colleagues,

I confess. Having slid by stealth into the tech writing profession, I
never had a class in grammar. No, not even in junior high school.
Operating on intuition is delightful, but I would like to be able to
formalize my knowledge so that I can defend, intelligently, what I write
(and write better, too).

Can anyone recommend a good solid English grammar book? I have "The
Elements of Style" and "The Elements of Technical Writing;" these are
good as far as they go but much too skimpy. Dull is okay, thorough is
essential.

Maybe one of you out there is an author of such a text?

Thanks!

Steve Murphy
Senior Technical Writer, Shepard-Patterson & Associates
2001 Jefferson Davis Highway, Suite 209
Arlington, Virginia
Voice: (703) 412-5072 Fax: (703) 412-5078
sdmurphy -at- shepard-patterson -dot- com
http://www.shepard-patterson.com
Adobe Certified Expert - FrameMaker
murphus -at- idsonline -dot- com
http://www.murphus.com