Feedback on H/PCs

Subject: Feedback on H/PCs
From: "George F. Hayhoe" <george -at- GHAYHOE -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 11:13:37 -0400

Like many other self-employed techwrl-ers, I spend an
average of 5 days per month on the road at client sites,
workshops, meetings, etc. I've been using a nearly
3-year-old laptop (8 MB RAM, 250 MB hard disk, 100 MHz
processor) to take notes at client sites, connect to e-mail
and the Web, and make PowerPoint presentations. In other
words, fairly light use. Most of the rest of the time, the
laptop sits in the storeroom in my office gathering dust.

This aging laptop doesn't have the RAM or hard disk space to
load Windows 98, Outlook 98, or Internet Explorer 4.0, so
synchronizing files with my desktop machine has become a
real pain.

Upgrading the laptop would cost almost as much as a new one
(proprietary RAM and hard drive components), so I've been
thinking about selling it and buying a new machine. While
looking through the trades and the local computer stores,
I've discovered a new class of product--the handheld PC
(H/PC), and wonder if anyone out there has experience using
one.

This class of machine runs Windows CE and uses a stylus like
the palm-size machines (like the PalmPilot), but has a
keyboard (decently sized on some of the models) and an
8.5-inch color screen. The machine I'm looking at also comes
with the Microsoft Pocket Office suite that is compatible
with the applications on my desktop machine. I think it
would fill the bill as far as my needs are concerned, but
I'd feel better if I had feedback from someone who has used
one. The cost (US$900) is about one third to one half that
of buying a new low- to mid-range laptop, so I wouldn't feel
awful having to replace it every 18 to 24 months.

I've also heard that there's a new bunch of
products--codenamed "Jupiter"--with a slightly larger form
factor, more usable keyboard, and better screen about to hit
the market. They will run about US$1000.

If you've used one of these H/PC machines or know anything
about the forthcoming "Jupiter" class, please reply offlist,
and I'll summarize the responses I get.

--George Hayhoe (george -at- ghayhoe -dot- com)

George Hayhoe Associates
Voice: +1 (803) 642-2156
Fax: +1 (803) 642-9325
http://www.ghayhoe.com

Winner
APEX '98 Award for Publication Excellence

Best of Show Winner
Carolina Foothills/South Carolina STC Chapters
1997-98 Technical Publications Competition

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=