terminology for variations of HTML-based Help

Subject: terminology for variations of HTML-based Help
From: Dan Roberts <DRoberts -at- ISOGON -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 15:36:50 -0400

Prompted by Christopher Guthrie post, I'm wondering if there are any
clearly-defined ways to refer to the following:
* standard web pages or web sites, available to all browsers.
* web pages and sites using MS HtmlHelp, thus available to only IE
browsers.
* web application or Java application help systems that use standard
HTML files, available to all browsers.
* web application, Java application, or ActiveX applications (is anyone
out there writing ActiveX applications? or am I behind the times?) that
use MS HtmlHelp.

With all the discussion of and requests for assistance with all the
variations, I get confused. Is there consistency yet?

Dan Roberts
droberts -at- isogon -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=