Visio drawings into Netscape Composer (longish saga)

Subject: Visio drawings into Netscape Composer (longish saga)
From: Barbara Karst-Sabin <barbara -at- QUOTE -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 1998 10:51:04 -0700

Hi, all,

I'm importing Visio drawings into Netscape Composer web pages. They go
in just fine, but I'm having a very frustrating time if I have to make
any corrections to the drawings once I have imported them.

I gave up on using Composer's feature which supposedly brings up a Visio
window for editing the image, it's very slow if it works at all.

I deleted the image from the web page, went back to the original Visio
drawing, pre-HTML save, made the corrections, and saved the new version
over the old. Then I imported the new version to my web page. And,
voila!!! The corrections were not there.

Suffice it to say that I tried this repeatedly and tried various
permutations of the basic routine above, all without success.

I finally deleted all of the saved versions, except the original Visio
drawing (and I mean really deleted, not just put them in the trash),
made my corrections, saved as HTML, and imported the brand spanking new
image into Composer. The corrections were still not there!

Eventually (after about an hour and a half of this), I remembered that I
had the original file on a floppy. I deleted all of the copies of the
drawing (in any form) from my hard drive _and_ the network.

I made the corrections to the file on the disk, saved that as HTML on my
hard drive and, just to be on the safe side, took the floppy out of the
drive before importing the "new" image. This time it worked.

I was working on another computer and had the same thing occur and the
delete all-work from floppy-remove floppy etc. routine was the only
thing that worked.

Now, does anyone know if either Netscape Composer or Visio has some kind
of buffer or cache which is possibly storing the "old" version and using
that in preference to the newly corrected version. That's the only
explanation I can come up with for the inexplicable sequence of events

There's got to be a more sensible workaround than this, like emptying
the buffer/cache or something, or overriding it in the first place.

Anyone got any ideas or past experience which might be of help?

Thanks,

BJ

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=