Re: Merging marketing pubs with tech pubs

Subject: Re: Merging marketing pubs with tech pubs
From: "Hutchings, Christa" <cwhutchings -at- HOMEWIRELESS -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 1998 15:24:24 -0400

Beth -
For what it's worth, I am part of the Product Management team here,
which belongs to Marketing. I report to the Director of Product
Management, and he reports to the VP-Marketing. We are a
marketing-driven company, and our Product Management group has total
control over the design of our products. Product Management determines,
in conjunction with the marketing group, what products are needed to
meet a market niche and then writes the functional specs for
Engineering. This structure is working pretty well here because our
Product Management group is not only highly technical but also has a
good understanding of where the industry is going and they interface
well with both Marketing and Engineering.

At most of my previous jobs, I belonged to Engineering and would have
rebelled if they had tried to put me in Marketing. I have found,
however, that the product management folks here understand much better
than the engineering folks I have worked with at other companies about
the importance of looking at product and document design from the
end-user's perspective.

I don't think I would be happy being under the direct control of
marketing, especially if I was having to do marcomm writing, but so far
it's working well to belong to Product Management. Is it possible for
you to recommend something similar at your company?

Regards,

Chris

Chris Welch-Hutchings
Senior Technical Writer
Home Wireless Networks, Inc.
mailto:cwhutchings -at- homewireless -dot- com