Re: TECHWR-L Digest - 27 Aug 1998 to 28 Aug 1998 (Part #1)

Subject: Re: TECHWR-L Digest - 27 Aug 1998 to 28 Aug 1998 (Part #1)
From: "Ridder, Fred" <F -dot- Ridder -at- DIALOGIC -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 1998 09:01:28 -0400

I meant to reply to Colette's original query, but I guess I forgot...

The key to understanding Word's apparently odd treatment
of Bold, Italic, Hidden, and such is to remember that Word
handles these as toggles rather than absolute attributes. This
works fine on a local basis (individual words, sentences,
paragraphs, etc.), but can act pretty weird when you try to
apply them in a paragraph style or on a global basis. For
example, if you make an individual word bold, and then apply
a paragraph style that includes bold character formatting, the
base text of the paragraph will toggle from normal to bold while
the locally-formatted bold word will toggle from bold to normal.
Italic and Hidden work exactly the same way, but Underline
actually works a little differently (and more intuitively) because
there are specific attributes for single, double, and word-only
underlining styles.

And Colette's original problem sounds like someone changed
the definition of the Normal style (or maybe the Default Text
style) to include Bold character formatting. If this is only
happening on one document, the place to look is in the
stylesheet that is part of that document. If the problem is
happening with more than one document, the place to look
is the specific template attached to the document or the
underlying global template, normal.dot.

I hope this helps...

Fred Ridder ( f -dot- ridder -at- dialogic -dot- com )
Senior Technical Writer
Dialogic Corp.
Parsippany, NJ

And to keep our marketing people happy: