Re: Contract/Direct

Subject: Re: Contract/Direct
From: Cam Whetstone <camw -at- HOME -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 5 Sep 1998 08:48:51 -0400

Actually your job opportunity cobines some of the best of both worlds.
First, you are a direct employee with benefits, regular income, etc. On
the other hand you will be travelling to different companies and working
on new projects--a chance to learn new things. Sounds like a perfect
job, except....

The only drawback would be where the actual work would be located. If
it is in different cities or very widely sep[arated places, it could get
old. I have worked away from home, coming home on weekends, and it is
OK for a while. However I also have a family and fixed home. If you do
not, this might not be so bad.

Think about it andf go with your gut feeling. There is no way to know
what it is going to be like until you are working there. I hope you
have the security between jobs. That would be my only concern. How
long will they keep you on the bench without outside work?

Good luck in any case.

C. R. (Cam) Whetstone

--------------

>I'm considering working for a contract agency. I'd be the full-time
>employee, full benefits, etc. for the agency, then they would send
>me out on assignments. The agency has an excellent reputation
>and is very solid (I've checked all this out and it's not the >question).

>I've always worked as a permanent "captive" employee and have
>been pretty satisfied until recently. I've worked at my present job for
>almost five years. In addition to severe (and probably ongoing)
>management problems at my company, I think I'm ready to try
>some variety. I want to gain new skills and experience in different
>working environments.

>I would like to hear from others who have had similar
>situations....writers who have gone from permanent to contract.
>What were the big "uh-ohs" that you discovered AFTER the fact?
>What were the serendipitious pluses you discovered as a
>contractor? What kinds of things should I know about working this
>way? Any advice, comments, etc. would be appreciated. Most
>specifically, how did you handle "bad assignments" (either long
>commutes or lousy companies)? Any agency "gotchas" to watch
>out for?

Thanks for any comments. I'm sure there are others on the list who
may be interested.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=