PostScript Printing

Subject: PostScript Printing
From: Bruce Ashley <bashley -at- CREATEPRINT -dot- COM -dot- AU>
Date: Mon, 7 Sep 1998 15:22:42 +1000

Hi gang. I have a query that hopefully someone can help with.

I have always ass-u-me-d that when you PostScript a file you, in effect,
embed the file attributes, fonts etc. and when printed, these fonts etc.
cannot then be altered.

Today we printed out a PDF file that is perfect using a HP4000 driver. We
used a Lexmark Ultra S2450 driver in error and found that it had changed
font style and the graphics had degraded terribly.

My understanding of the process is obviously wrong as I have always thought
that once a file is PostScripted and then distilled to a PDF file, that it
cannot alter in appearance.

I'm therefore hoping that someone out there can shed some light on the
topic.

Regards,

Bruce Ashley
OZ